Talk to the Taxperts

01382 312100

Non-Resident Individual Who Rents Out UK Residential Property

Our client, who now lives in Canada, owns a property in Scotland which he had previously lived in.  This property is rented out and managed by a Property Letting Agent.

How we helped our client

When our client moved to Canada, we advised him on the tax implications of the move and how he would be taxed in the UK and Canada going forward.  Our taxperts also registered the client as a Non-resident Landlord with HMRC by completing form NRL1, so that he could receive his rent in full and pay any tax due through this UK tax return.  HMRC advised the Letting Agent not to deduct tax from the rents.  We completed his UK tax return and with a Kreston member firm in Canada completing his Canadian tax return and we both communicated to make sure his tax position was correct in both countries and that there were no double taxation issues.

For more information or to discuss further, please contact the International Individuals Taxperts.

Related Case Studies

Download our EQ app and keep up to date with tax news, changes and have access to our EQ Portal, tax calculators and key tax dates at your fingertips. Click on the relevant button on your device to download our free app.

Visit EQ Accountants Visit EQ Accountants

Explore the full range of EQ Expertise